Sunday 14 October 2012

Trick or treat cones tutorial

The theme for this week's That Crafty Place challenge is Trick or Treat and i thought I would have a go at making treat cones for the girls'. 


 And as the DT were very keen to know how I had made them I have done this tutorial - its really easy!!

You need some 12x12 cardstock or double sided patterned paper.  The cone is made up of a triangle, 10cm x 18cm.
As I was using black cardstock and decorating it, I also used a triangle 9.5cm x17.5cm.

1. Butt the larger triangle up against the edge of the cardstock and draw round the triangle.  You might want to have a fiddle around before you start to make sure you position the first triangle so they all fit on!   Move the triangle round so its butted up against the edge of the last one and draw round it.  Repeat until you have a 4 triangle fan shape.
You will also need to have a tab on the edge of the last one so you can attach the edges of the triangles together.

2. Now score down the edges of the triangles and the tab ...
 
 3.  As I was using cardstock I decorated it using the smaller triangle as a template for the peices of design paper (Authentique Enchanted ). 
4. Now add adhesive to the tab, making sure you do it on the outer side so it fastens to the inner side of the triangle!!!  And join the sides to create your cone.
 
 You will notice that they don't go to the ends - that's becuase I was using a 6x6 pad ... but it doesn't matter because ...

 5. Now it is time to decorate the cone - you can do what ever you like, but this is what I did.
I used some orange webbing and added dst to it, before pleating it round the base of the cone.  It works better with the dst attached to the ribbon rather than the cone.
 Having pleated the webbing round I added some gingham ribbon and tied a bow.

 Then I repeated the process around the top - this time attaching the webbing using a mini stapler - it just gives it a better grip, necessary for small hands and lots of sweets!!!

And some more ribbon ...
before adding the images, Kraftin' Kimmie's Wicked Witch and Whimsy's Hazel.  I coloured them in using promarkers and copics.  The diecuts are all from my lovely DT friends - I don't really do Halloween so needed a little help on the diecut front.  But there is a fab range of dies in the shop.



If you don't want to make Halloween ones, they are great for holding small presents, chocolates, and little Christmas treats.


7 comments:

  1. These are fab. And I *may* even follow your tutorial for Christmas gifts...

    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this tutorial!!!! Great container for wonderful treats. And I agree would work great with Christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!!! So easy to follow! I have no excuse now other than my laziness lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fab tutorial thank you love jacquie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea will need to try it out.....although wont be Halloweeen at this rate lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy these are stunning and one of these days I will try and replicate them :)

    ReplyDelete