Sunday 17 February 2013

Aperture Card Tutorial

The first time I decided to try making this kind of aperture card it was for a Sugar Plum fairy ballerina card where I knew I wanted the dancer to look like one of those ballerina's you get in music boxes but wasn't quite sure how to achieve it!

Well, second time around I think I have perfected the technique so I wanted to share it with you all AND show off some of the scrummy bits Lisa has in the shop for you!


First off I covered a 6"x6" card blank with patterned paper
I have used papers from Tigerlilly by Kaisercraft for this project

   
 Then I offered up my die (Spellbinders Floral Ovals) to get the best placement

Opening up my card blank I cut out my aperture (using my Big Shot) - keep the cut out, you might want to use it later!

Then cut a corresponding aperture into some patterned paper

For my image I stamped my image (Pippi Longstockings from Sugar Nellie) twice onto card and then traced the image onto the back of the card to form a mirror image (if you are using a digital image you can flip your image over in a picture editing program)
I then coloured them in to match using Promarkers and Flexmarkers

I then cut the images out - taking care to make sure they cut out as similarly as possible
I also added Stickles to the wings at this point
As you can see, I have stuck the cut out from the front of the card on the inside

Cut a length of clear plastic wire - you can use twine or other wire to suit the card you're making
I went for clear so that she'd look like she was flying

Using double sided sticky tape stick the wire down to the card blank and then cover with the patterned paper

Again using double sided sticky tape, stick your image first to one side of the wire...

... and then the other (as well as the back of the front image)
I have added some of the sentiment die cuts from the co-ordinating Tigerlilly Collectables

And then decorate to finish!
I have added another Tigerlilly Collectables sentiment die cut as well as some super cute mesh butterflies

Everything is available from Lisa - either to buy right now or to put on order

I hope you found this tutorial useful, and it would be great if you shared any aperture cards you make with us on our facebook page

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow Louise this is absolutely stunning and what a fab tutorial....thanks for sharing it with us chick.
    Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh very clever Louise, I'm gonna give this a go, thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely idea - will need to 'Borrow" it for a class if I may...? thanks for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete