Saturday 16 March 2013

Altered bird box - tutorial

Hi all it's Lizzy here with a little project for a rainy afternoon! Here I will try to explain how my little bird box became a pretty altered creation, just ready for some Lavender or Pot Pourri... or even a key holder if I had added hooks!

 
This is the finished project, and nearly all the elements used are available at Lisa's shop, I will list what I used as I go:
 
 
This is the start, I used gesso to cover the wooden box, but you could use white acrylic paint just as well. Leave to dry overnight.

I used the roof to make a template, and used Zepher paper pad by prima, it has a fabulous green paper that looks like little roof tiles.... I cut 2 of these.

I used Vintage photo to distress the edges, I did this for all the paper peices I cut out.

Here it shows the back peice already distressed and ready to stick down, just another little process to go yet!

I used the previous paper peice and made a copy paper pattern for the front,  I then had to measure and determine where the front perch and hole would go, using a paper pattern meant it didn't matter how many cuts I made...

Here it shows how I then drew around the copy paper pattern, you can just see the feint lines, and then I used my craft knife to cut out the holes required.

I then used my Vintage photo distress ink to ink all the edges of the box, it doesn't matter if you miss bits or get too much ink on the wood, most of it will be covered up with the papers.
 

I cut leaves and flowers using Spellbinders Rose Creations, again the papers are from the Prima Zepher paper pad.


Here shows the papers now attached with glue, cosmic  clear dry is excellent for this job, I have used my stash dies to decorate the roof and sides, and the wonderful Crafts Too Vine corner for the front. I generally cut these to fit!  The butterfly is from Lisa's shop..a few rub on's to add to the background.

So here we are, finished!  I have added the flowers to wire and attached using a hot glue gun, I have made a beautiful green bow from seam binding, (Lisa's shop) and stamped some random bees on the background to complete the look.

An another view, with pearls added too!  Sometimes I just need to stop there!  You could use anything to alter in the same way, Lisa has loads of stuff to choose from, and you could used stamps instead of papers to embellish, it's up to you. I hope you enjoyed this journey with me.
 
Lizzy xxxx
 

3 comments:

  1. That's fab Lizzy. I have a house to alter...it's just lying unloved. Perhaps it's time to show it some love eh?

    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this ! I have one of these and really need to do something with it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow gorgeous Lizzy :-) hugs Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete